Today, we’ll create a sensory bottle – a water bottle filled with objects that make a fun, sensory experience for babies and toddlers. Watch the little ones shake the bottle to see the objects inside move and to listen to the sounds they make.
- water bottles
- coloured decorative stones or rocks
- food colouring
- Find some materials around your home – different sizes of bottles, stones, rocks – anything that can make some noise when it moves.
- Add water to your bottles (as much as you would like), then change the colour with a couple drops of food colouring.
- Add your stones or rocks then seal the top tightly with tape. As an alternative, eliminate the water and just put rocks or stones in.
- Let your child explore. Be careful! They may get a little loud at times.
What’s going on?
Sensory bottles can be used to stimulate, entertain or calm a child. They are easy to make, and you’ll be amazed at how much fun your young children will have as they learn about the world around them through a variety of sights and sounds.